What does your home feel like around the holidays? Cozy and warm, colorful and bright, organized chaos (or just plain chaos)? Today, our REALTORS® are sharing their tips and tricks for decorating inside and outside this holiday season. Did we miss any? Share your favorite decorating tips below!
Color is your friend!
- Feel free to experiment with some out of the box colors like gold, silver and pinks! Not everything needs to be red, green and white.
- Garlands everywhere! I love introducing greenery throughout the house. Pinecones add a great touch too.
- Develop a theme by collecting items that work well together. For example, several pillows on a similar color scheme can tie together any living room decor!
- Try white as a base color – all of your favorite holiday colors pop against a crisp white background.
Using Scent to Decorate
- Scent is one of the strongest senses tied to memory, so to create those happy holiday memories, use essential oils or other products to add those classic holiday scents! We love cinnamon, clove, spruce and orange together for a great aroma.
- Have an artificial Christmas tree, but missing that pine scent? Use real wreaths or sprigs of real pine throughout your home to get the same impact.
Collections are Key
- Don’t shy away from multiples! A collection of nutcrackers, dreidels, portraits and others can look amazing featured on a mantel or hearth.
- Classic design tip – decorate in threes! Small vignettes in groups of 3 really catch the eye.
- Use what you’ve got – don’t feel like you need to completely re-work your existing decorations. Re-purpose collections and containers that are useful all year round by switching out fresh items like greenery or wintery flowers.
- Extra ornaments? Put them in a large glass jar or bowl and decorate a countertop or bookshelf too!
Cherish the Memories
- Don’t knock craft projects or your kiddos’ homemade decorations. Chances are, you’ll treasure these more than the store-bought stuff.
- Remember to take photographs! Whether you use the same decorations year after year, or try something different each holiday season, record those memories in photos. Then use the photos in next year’s decor.
- Not sure how to store all of those decorations after the holidays are over? Check out these great storage ideas!